Wednesday, February 4, 2009

# 19 Grumpy with NVDPL databases



Quite frankly, looking at this list of databases gives me a headache. I hope the new website will give users better guidance: what a hodge-podge! Could we at least know from the initial list who provides what database? For example, Gale or Facts on File?

I checked out a couple of the new history databases, and discovered that they were all produced by either Gale or Facts on File. A quick search in one of the Gale databases gets you hits from any of them. Same with the Facts on File products.
(By the way, the Facts on File databases aren't working today, though they were fine when I made my notes earlier in the week.)

Searched for topics on the industrial revolution and migration to the new world in Gale modern history titles. Useful for broad information and a start for research. There's extensive cross referencing and bibliographic help.

I would say that the information is typical of a general American encyclopedia. Gale has material on the history of native American groups, but check "Haida" and the only reference is an environmental hit from the Encyclopedia of Biomes.

The Facts on File products give briefer information. For Ancient and Medieval History, FoF does point out that they are only covering eight civilizations. Nothing pre-medieval or far-flung in European history, for example, unless you're marching with the Romans or sailing with the Greeks. There are no bibliographic references in the individual articles in FoF; but a separate tab at the introduction to the database will yield a general bibliography.

Warning for these databases: They have the limitations of small encyclopedias: Only to be used with books and the rest of the internet!!!


I do look forward to using Bloom's Literary Reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment